So I did a little experiment. I tried the recipe on black cod ($$$) and on regular cod.
GET THE BLACK COD.
Trust me. It’s worth it. Cut the recipe in half if you don’t want to buy $30 worth of fish to feed two. It’s pretty amazing, so don’t make any for your friends if you’re cheap. Ha.
- 1 to 1.5 lb black cod filets
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 4 tbs white miso paste
- 3 tbs white granulated sugar
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring mirin and sake to a boil. Let the alcohol evaporate for 15 seconds. Reduce heat to medium.
- Dissolve miso, bit by bit, into the liquid. Stir continuously.
- Increase heat to high. Stir in sugar until also completely dissolved. Remove from heat immediately and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pat cod filets dry. Marinate in miso mixture, covered, in refrigerator for 2 days.
- Important: Scrape miso off cod! It’s salty stuff. And it’s already been marinating for a few days. You don’t need an extra coating of it. Trust me.
- Line baking pan with aluminum foil. Arrange cod evenly across pan. BROIL for 5 minutes or so or until just begins to brown. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes until cod cooked through.