- 1 egg
- Four 4-ounce salmon fillets, about 1 inch, no skin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tomato cut into four 1/2 -inch slices
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 8 slices dark rye or multi-grain bread
- Mixed leafy greens
- 1 avocado halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Whisk together the mustard and honey in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
2. To hard boil the egg, put the egg in a small pot and fill with water to cover the egg by 1-inch. Bring the water to boil and immediately turn the heat off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for exactly 7 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water and peel when cool enough to handle. Cut the egg into quarters, lengthwise.
3. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Brush salmon fillets with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and grill for 2 minutes on each side.
4. Toast bread.
5. To assemble sandwiches, first cut each piece of salmon into 2 pieces. Layering leafy greens, tomato, avocado, egg, red onion, grilled salmon and capers on each bread slice. Spoon the sweet mustard sauce on top and serve, opened faced.