- 1lb kidney beans
- 1 med onion, diced
- 1 med green bell papper, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced (I omitted this because I ran out.)
- 4 fat cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1-2 tsp cajun seasoning
- ~6-7 cups water (or half chicken stock)
- 4 big links or 1lb andouille sausage, sliced*
- cooked rice
- Optional: tabasco sauce and or vinegar to serve. Note on vinegar: makes beans cook slower! Don’t add it until you serve.
*Feel free to use vegetarian substitute! Just make sure you get the right flavor. I actually used a chicken and turkey andouille.
- Soak beans overnight in enough water to fully submerge them by 2 inches+. The next day: rinse and set aside.
- In a 5 qt dutch oven, heat a pat of butter over med high heat. Saute onions until just soft (~3min) then add bell peppers and celery. Continue to saute (~3 min).
- Add garlic and seasonings. Mix.
- Add liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add beans, a pinch more salt, then cover and simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Add sausage, mash up some beans up against the side of the pot, then continue to simmer for 30 min.
- Serve over rice and top with parsley.